Time tracking software – 15 frequently asked questions
Time tracking software – 15 frequently asked questions:
What is a time tracking software?
What is the difference between time tracking software and other methods of time tracking?
What time tracking software is the best fit for my goal?
How flexible is time tracking software? Will it be able to fit my business requirements?
What features do I need?
What time is tracking software best for my workforce(cloud, on-premise)?
What data will be collected, and how will it be stored?
Is time tracking software easy to use?
Can the time tracking software track anyone who edits time records?
What kind of reports does time tracking software produce?
Is time tracking software intrusive?
Can I try the time tracking software before committing to it?
Is time tracking software legal?
What are the benefits of time tracking software?
Can I talk to someone if I have more questions?
1. What is a time tracking software?
Time-tracking software is a technology that allows employers and employees to track time spent on various computer activities. This includes attendance, login and logout, active and idle time, and time spent on tasks/projects, applications, documents, websites, etc. Time tracking is an effective and accurate way for employers to gain insight into day-to-day computer use and enable employees to spend time more effectively.
2. What is the difference between time tracking software and other methods of time tracking?
In terms of tracking computer time and automatically providing a real picture, time-tracking software is a more advanced technology compared to traditional methods, like manual timesheets, swipe card systems, etc. It has more functionality that gives more information about computer use. It records when employees (in-house and remote) clock in and clock out, the time spent on specific tasks, the total number of hours worked, and much more. It is precise and accurate. Time tracking methods such as traditional swipe card systems, employee ID systems, and manual timesheets, on the other hand, have minimal functionality. They do not record the time spent on tasks or help companies with remote workers tracking.
3. What time tracking software is the best fit for my goal?
What are the goals that I plan to achieve with employee time tracking software? How can time tracking software help me? These are questions that need to be asked before making a choice. With the thousands of time-tracking software options available on the market today, finding the best fit for your company without already set goals can be somewhat challenging. So, whatever your aim for utilizing time tracking software is, whether it is to lift the weight off the admin department, gain insight into time spent on tasks, or help with payroll management. A good time tracking software should integrate seamlessly with your existing infrastructure, address these current issues, and work in line with your future business goals.
4. How flexible is time tracking software? Will it be able to fit my business requirements?
Excellent time tracking software should be flexible enough to meet every business requirement. For example, if your employees work remotely or from home, time-tracking software allows everyone to be responsible without restricting anyone. Because it is an automated system, you don’t need to be there to see how employees work. Employees can record time spent on tasks, log hours worked, and login/logout regardless of where they are located. It allows flexibility in working time schedules and discards any concerns you may have about what activities are carried out during work hours. You can view time-tracking reports in real-time regardless of where your employees are.
5. What features do I need?
What features do I need? What features should I avoid? These two questions give you a clearer picture of what to get for your business. You don’t want to pay for a ton of features that might potentially be too invasive or consume system resources. Again, the main idea is to choose time tracking features that will be useful to you and help you achieve your business goals. Pay attention to time tracking software that records the following:
- Log/logout times,
- Active/idle time(time spent on the computer and time spent away from when no mouse, keyboard activity is detected),
- Productive/unproductive hours,
- User activity(time and duration of internet, social media, and application use),
- Computer/system login name.
You might want time tracking software with additional features like website blocking to help employees when they need to concentrate and get work done.
Time tracking experts recommend this free checklist to understand better how to proceed with the time tracking or any other monitoring process.
6. What time is tracking software best for my workforce(cloud, on-premise)?
When determining whether cloud or on-premise time tracking software is the best option for your business, here are a few things to consider:
- Data security: Data security is a necessary factor to consider before making a choice. Whether you decide to take responsibility for data security by installing the software on your server(on-premise) or choosing to trust the providers to protect it (cloud), reputable time tracking software providers should have appropriate measures to keep data safe.
- Updates: Whichever option you end up picking, it is vital to have timely automatic updates that can take place behind the scenes without interrupting the work process.
- Expertise: Before choosing any option, consider whether it is best to hire tech personnel to work on your servers or pick the cloud option where tech personnel can manage maintenance or other issues.
- Costs: Weigh your options carefully. Maintenance fees, annual, monthly, and one-time license fees are essential in deciding which solution works for you. compare both solutions and purchase one that is tailored to your business needs.
7. What data will be collected, and how will it be stored?
Time tracking software should collect data that is only useful for work-related purposes and nothing more. A sound time tracking system meets your data security and privacy requirements. Must-have data security features include data encryption, password protection, secure connection, various data access levels, and automated database archiving. The database should also be backed up, archived, and well maintained.
8. Is time tracking software easy to use?
Keeping in mind that not all of your employees may be conversant with how time-tracking software works is something to consider before opting for one. The time tracking process should be clear and easy to understand. If the software you choose is not user friendly or confusing, it may disrupt the workflow, cause errors in time reports, and harm productivity.
9. Can the time tracking software track anyone who edits time records?
Time tracking software lets you see who edited the records, what changes were made, and the date through usernames and computer login names in real-time.
10. What kind of reports does time tracking software produce?
Time tracking reports can be customized to meet your business requirements. You can view employees’ login name, computer name, time spent on projects, time spent on, and away from the computer, dates, attendance reports, etc. You can view real-time reports anywhere you and in a matter of minutes.
11. Is time tracking software intrusive?
Generally, time tracking software is intended to track the actual time spent on various computer activities during working hours. Some employee time tracking software also have features that allow you to block certain websites to keep distractions in check. Some time tracking software might also have features, such as screenshots recording and keylogging. However, it is important to choose features that align with your monitoring goals as the features mentioned above may be too intrusive and invade privacy. If the idea is to empower employees to manage their own time better, those features may not be useful.
12. Can I try the time tracking software before committing to it?
It’s always a good idea to try the time tracking software before you fully commit to it. Usually, time tracking software vendors offer a trial period before purchase or even free service for a certain number of employees. We recommend that you take the opportunity to test the software before making a purchase decision. Doing so gives you a better understanding of the time tracking software, and you can also see what the software has to offer in terms of functionality. During this trial period, we also recommend that you contact software providers to find answers to questions such as how often software updates occur and so on. When you are ready to commit and purchase the software, it is a good idea to pay attention to the licensing conditions (cancellation policies, fees, hidden fees, etc.).
13. Is time tracking software legal?
Yes, time-tracking software is legal. That said, the laws on time tracking and employee monitoring, in general, vary from country to country. Some laws require employers to notify their employees, while others do not. However, if you decide to do so, you might want to consider developing policies that ensure compliance with employee time-tracking regulations. If you need assistance in creating these documents,request a WorkTime monitoring ebook where you can find monitoring policies that also apply to time tracking, consent forms, and ready-to-use samples.
14. What are the benefits of time tracking software?
Time tracking software has a lot of benefits:
- Time tracking software allows you to estimate the time spent working on projects accurately. Having a higher degree of accuracy helps you better delegate tasks and make smarter business decisions that can benefit your business.
- Time tracking software reports can be used to analyze time spent on computer activities and help shed light on some work-related issues.
- With real-time reports, you can uncover trends that negatively affect the workflow and work on how to improve them.
- Time tracking software gives insight into attendance, when employees clocked in/out and employees active and idle time.
- Time tracking software is also a huge asset for your accounting and HR department because real-time reports help a great deal with payroll management and overtime. It is also an easy and reliable way to bill clients.
- Time tracking software helps a lot with employees working from home. It doesn’t matter when or where employees work. It tracks all the hours worked.
- Time tracking software helps in improving productivity.
15. Can I talk to someone if I have more questions?
Choosing the right time tracking software is very important. Yes, you can speak to our experts if you have any questions concerning the time tracking process.
WorkTime experts are available to answer all your questions – ask WorkTime experts now.
Best Time Tracking Software!
Safe. Trusted. Reliable. Respectful Monitoring.
Analytical Writer, WorkTime
www.worktime.com – Time Tracking Experts Since 1998