How To Track Employee Attendance?
Tracking employees attendance remains one of the most frequently used everyday company activities, since timely and regular attendance is the key to overall company success. It seems simple, but how to perform monitoring attendance easy and transparent?
Straight to the point: How to track employee attendance?
- Define the tracking goals and issues need to be addressed;
- Install employee attendance monitoring software: WorkTime Corporate (to monitor office employees) or WorkTime Corporate Cloud (to monitor remote employees);
- Tweak human operations on analyzing the data received from time and attendance tracking software;
- Make conclusions and iterate!
Now we can go a bit deeper and clarify some basics about attendance and its tracking:
- Employee absenteeism at the workplace remains one of the most common issues.
- Attendance is one of the company’s productivity indicators. Most companies require from all employees to attend the workplace on a timely and regular basis to keep performance level high.
- Tracking employees attendance is most useful for:
- different size companies to monitor employees login/logout behavior and keep their performance high;
- education industry to keep students productivity up;
- distributed teams to monitor employees presenteeism/absenteeism.
- Attendance tracking helps to identify the number of employees at the workplace in the defined time of the day.
- Monitoring employees attendance can indirectly help in correcting company Employee Attendance Program: it’s possible to use reported data to improve the current EAP. For instance, apply point system to award good attendees and penalize employees having challenges with their attendance.
- Tracking employees attendance can indirectly reduce company payrolls. According to 2014 SHRM/Kronos survey employers pay 20,2 – 22,1% of total payrolls for employees absences. Some of them are paid sick leaves or planned vacation, but some are not planned at all. Using reports it’s possible to cut false payrolls by not paying for unplanned absences.
Now we can get back to the topic basic question: how to track employee attendance and take advantage of it.
There is a variety of both manual and automated tools to manage employees attendance. But it would be good to save some time by collecting attendance data automatically. It’s possible with time and attendance monitoring software: all necessary data will be compiled without human operation and one could receive a number of ready-made reports as a result.
WorkTime Corporate (or WorkTime Corporate Cloud) is time tracking software. It gives its customers the wide opportunities in tracking not only employee attendance, but also in getting the following productivity and performance deep insights:
- Employee behavior:
- Attendance Issues and False Overtimes (The data received measures the overall working hours of employee(s) for a definite period of time. Which in turn advocates the overtimes claimed to be either justified or false and equivocal. More about this report…);
- Active/Idle Time Habits (this report shows the periods of working time the employee actively works with the computer and vice versa demonstrates no activity. The data received is displayed at the diagram the way it’s possible to view the repeated periods of activity/inactivity and make some interesting findings);
- Off-work Hours Monitoring (this newly released report helps to track workstation idle time while off work hours. It’s quite helpful to reduce false overtimes risks).
- Productivity and performance indicators:
- Active/Idle time;
- Wasted time;
- Internet Personal Use;
- Facebook and Social network use etc.
Image 1. WorkTime Attendance report (sample).
Image 2. WorkTime Corporate Summary report (sample).
Key Takeaways on How to track employee attendance:
- Keep up to business goals while implementing this activity in a company;
- Choose the right software able to meet company’s monitoring needs;
- Analyze reports on a regular basis;
- Use reports data wise and enhance company’s workflows!