Q: How to monitor employees’ idle time and active time?
A: There are several ways to monitor the active and idle time of the employees when using computers.
Researchers from McCombs Business School found 78.1 percent of employees experience idle time at work. The study estimates 7.4 billion hours of idle time are experienced by U.S. workers every year. Another study from the Journal of Applied Psychology says approximately $100 billion is being paid annually to U.S. employees for idle time. How can employers ensure an active work environment?
1. EMPLOYEE COMPUTER MONITORING SOFTWARE
Employee computer monitoring software is one clear way to gain insight into employee’s computer idle and active time. This technology determines how long specific tasks take when actively being worked on, gets rid of unnecessary downtime and also prevents unnecessary slacking.
- Employee computer monitoring software is intended solely for tracking the activities of computer/desktop/laptop/other electronic devices. It generates detailed reports which make it very easy to monitor employee active and idle working time.
- Employee monitoring software shows precisely when computers are being actively used or when employees are idle (spending time away from computers).
- It is an automated solution, managers don’t need to manually write long reports to keep tabs on employees.
- It shows the real picture without relying on human input.
- Employees become more active and less idle when they know they are being monitored.
- Employee monitoring software needs to be implemented properly to avoid trust issues in the workplace. This WorkTime article includes great ways to properly implement monitoring software.
- It requires extra effort and expenses. (WorkTime offers competitive prices CHECK HERE to pick a payment plan suitable for your business).
- It is very important that you choose employee monitoring software that meets your business goals. If your goals are not clearly defined, you may pick software that is not tailored to your business which can, in turn, affect the business environment. Here is expert advice from WorkTime on how best to proceed: (How Does Computer Monitoring Software Work? How to Choose Safe Software?)
WorkTime computer monitoring software comprises of great features that accurately track employees’ idle and active time and gives the real picture of how engaged and productive your employees really are.
2. SUPERVISORS & MANAGERS
Managers and supervisors also play a vital role in monitoring employees’ active and idle time. They are responsible for organizing, setting standards, evaluating employees and ensuring quality in order for work processes to run smoothly.
- Qualified managers and supervisors are very important in building a good team.
- Managers and supervisors can witness first-hand if employees are active or idle during working hours and make some adjustments in areas that need improvement.
- Managers and supervisors can assist in ensuring employees’ performance is on track.
- Managers can also see to it that employees manage working time effectively.
- Hiring managers or supervisors to accurately monitor every minute employees spend on computers is not reliable. It is impossible to watch every employees’ screen at once and at any moment.
- When managers fill the supervisor’s shoes, they may risk having less time to perform their own duties.
- Hiring extra hands to supervise may be an extra expense.
- If not done properly, human-to-human supervising could negatively affect the inner working environment by creating tension.
Managers and Supervisors ensure employees effectively manage their time to increase productivity and achieve set goals.
3. VIDEO SURVEILLANCE
Video surveillance technology is also instrumental in computer active and idle time monitoring. It shows whether employees are at workstations during working hours. However, it is important to protect the integrity and the security of employees. It is important to customize video surveillance to suit unique corporate culture and ethics and comply with privacy laws. When companies take these necessary steps their employees will not feel threatened.
- Video surveillance methods may allow organizations to invest less money on supervisors and reduce expenses.
- Video surveillance offers a record of activities that already happened.
- If employees know that there are cameras they are much less likely to waste working hours being idle.
- Video cameras do not sufficiently provide information about computer idle and active time as data may be altered.
- This method may be too intrusive if it is not performed in accordance with the privacy laws.
- This method may require a lot of time to analyze the recorded information.
Employee Idle and Active Time Monitoring Software
Trusted. Safe. Reliable. Respectful Monitoring.
Analytical Writer, WorkTime
www.worktime.com – Employee Performance Monitoring Experts Since 1998