Q: How to monitor employees’ idle time and active time?
A: There are several ways to monitor the active and idle time of the employees when using computers.
For monitoring the active and idle time of your employees you can:
- Involve supervisors or managers to watch employees during their working hours.
- Use video surveillance.
- Use employee performance monitoring software.
Supervisors & Managers
Managers and supervisors play a very important role in managing employees’ active and idle time. They are the ones responsible for employees coming to work and leaving. They see how many breaks employees take and how well they deliver results.
- Properly selected managers and supervisors are very important in building a good team.
- Managers can be supervisors as well as they can perform other duties.
- Managers and supervisors can help with keeping employees’ performance on a good level, looking after employees’ attendance and break time.
- Neither managers nor supervisors can properly monitor employees’ work on computers, as they cannot constantly watch employees’ screens.
- If managers put themselves in supervisors’ shoes, then they have less time for performing their own duties.
- Hiring supervisors leads to extra expense.
- Human-to-human supervising might negatively affect the inner working environment by creating tension.
Monitoring employees’ active and idle time by means of video cameras is another method that shows whether employees are at their working place.
- Video surveillance method is less expensive than hiring enough personnel dedicated to supervising only.
- Video surveillance is not as invasive as monitoring employees with the help of managers and supervisors.
- Video surveillance works automatically.
- Video cameras do not provide enough information about computer idle and active time.
- This method requires a lot of time to analyze recorded information.
- There is a lack of good reports if they are available at all.
Employee Performance Monitoring Software
Employee performance monitoring software is a technology that provides another helpful way of monitoring employee’s idle and active time.
- Employee performance monitoring software is dedicated to employee computer monitoring. With the help of such computer monitoring, you can have a lot of detailed reports about active and idle time of the employees.
- It is an automated solution, which does not need managers’extra time.
- Employee monitoring software shows exactly when computers are used actively or when they are idle.
- Employee monitoring software is applicable if employees use computers only.
- It is an extra expense to implement employee monitoring software.
Employee Performance Monitoring Solutions
Trusted. Safe. Reliable. Respectful Monitoring.
CMO, NesterSoft Inc.
www.worktime.com – Employee Performance Monitoring Experts Since 1998